March 17 - 23 is National Poison Prevention Week. Is your house safe? My triplets are two and half now and still into everything. I think that it's even worse than when they were younger. It took Noah all of a month to figure out how to open the safety latches that only require pressure to release them. We installed magnetic latches on the kitchen sink cabinets and bathroom cabinets. We also make sure that cleaning supplies are on a high shelf in the utility room. Is that enough though?
Take a minute to stop what you are doing and look around the room that you are in. What do you see that's at a level your child can reach? When I look around my kitchen I see lotion, some of my allergy medicines, cold medicine, some of the kid's medicines, plug-in air fresheners, hand sanitizer and my purse is sitting on the counter. Not so safe when your kids can now drag chairs over to try and grab things they want. According to www.poisonprevention.org, "Each year, nearly 1 million children under the age of five are exposed to potentially poisonous medicines and household chemicals."
Some of the most common products that result in accidental poisonings are pain relievers, cough and cold medicines, iron-containing vitamins, food supplements, cosmetics, cleaners, personal care products, insect sprays, paint solvents, and lighter fluids, as reported by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission in their pamphlet Lock Up Poisons
Take time out and walk around each room in your house, even the ones you don't think your children enter. Look around, open the closets, see what they see and will potentially put in their mouths. Our children don't really use the guest bathroom, but they have access to it. If you open the closet, you will find all their baby bath products, sun tan sprays and bug sprays all at their level. What were we thinking? We weren't! The towels are up high, while I left the dangerous products in their reach. This was fine before they started running all over the house, but now that they have more access, I need to be on top of what items they can reach.
How about the items we never think about. Lotion? For some reason my three are obsessed with it. Last night I put lotion on Chloe's feet and she proceeded to lick her feet. As funny as that is in the moment, I know that I can't leave lotion or anything that looks like lotion within their reach. It will end up in their mouth.
Preventing accidental poisonings is easy to do and only takes a few minutes. If you would like to learn more about poison prevention you can visits websites like www.poisonprevention.org
or your state's poison prevention site. The national Poison Help Hotline is 800-222-1222.