Strong reading skills equal success in school. An important fact that all parents need to know is that the simple act of reading aloud is one of the most important actions a parent can take to support a child’s future success in school. How do we instill a love of reading in our children? The answer is pretty simple. Read, Read, Read.
Follow these easy guidelines and ignite your child’s love for reading!
• Set aside time each and everyday to read to your child.
• Explore and enjoy a wide variety of stories and genres.
• Pick topics that are of high interest to your child.
• Keep a wide variety of children’s literature around the.
• Make sure your child has their own library card and set a special date each month to visit your local library and check out some great books!
• Enjoy reading along with some of your child’s favorite characters. Check out VTech’s InnoTab® 2S Wi-Fi Learning App Tablet. The InnoTab® 2S has a large library of cartridges with stories and learning games featuring favorite characters such as Scooby-Doo, Toy Story’s Buzz Lightyear and Woody, The Disney Princesses and Dora the Explorer. The InnoTab® 2S Learning tablet connects to VTech’s Learning Lodge Navigator allowing children to download some terrific e-books, guaranteeing more reading fun!
Continue to place emphasis on enjoying great books each and everyday throughout the year! When reading with your child, take time to think aloud! Share your thoughts and engage in discussion before, during and after reading. Start off by predicting what the story will be about. Pose questions that are on your mind as you read and talk about your favorite characters and or parts of the story once you finish reading. Parents serve as important role models for their children and set the best examples of strong reading habits. When children see parents reading for enjoyment and when children read with their parents, children make the association that reading is an enjoyable part of life.