At least an hour of physical activity everyday is needed for most kids, but that does not always mean that your kids need to be in sports or go hit the gym! Below are some different approaches for everyday fun and fitness for your kids, and who knows, maybe you’ll benefit as well!
• Connect with nature – Let’s face it, kids love to get dirty! Encourage them to get their hands (and clothes!) dirty by helping you in the garden or by going bug hunting. Catching fireflies at dusk or planting flowers takes time and energy, and it gives you a chance to teach them about nature. This activity can also be done in the evening as a special activity before bed.
• Rainy day, go ahead and stay – When it’s raining outside encourage your kids to get active inside the house. While traditional television and video games do not require physical activity, there are video games like those for V-Motion, which require active, physical involvement, and make the most out of playtime.
• Chore time can be fun time! – While most kids dread taking out the trash, figure out what chores they do enjoy – at least a little bit – and then blast their favorite tunes throughout the house while they clean up. Mopping the floor or cleaning a bedroom can be a good way to expend a little energy – and with some music, these chores can be much more fun.
• Elementary school musical – Why should high-schoolers have all the fun? Your kids will love using their favorite music and creating a story line. Plus, with all those elaborate dance numbers, they will be sure to break a sweat.
• Scavenger hunt – Play “Indiana Jones” and create a scavenger hunt around the house. You can hide various items throughout your home and give the kids clues to aid them in their search. Not only are you encouraging problem solving skills, but you’ll also love getting them up and moving. And as they run around from room to room, they will love all the treasures they find!
• Breeze through obstacles—Every kid loves a bit of a challenge; why not set up an obstacle course in your own backyard? Your kids and all of their friends will love competing as they jump through hula hoops, crawl under lawn chairs and hop scotch along the driveway. You can join in the fun, too, by being the official judge and time-keeper, or join in for a little extra cardio!